Thursday, May 28, 2015

Graduation Time

Hello everyone!  First of all let me apologize for my absence, I can't believe it's been so long since I last posted.  But sunshine, fresh air and spending time in the garden have been the story of the day(s) around here and my poor blog has been sadly neglected.  Hope this finds you all well and enjoying some lovely weather wherever you may be.

With June just around the corner (how in the heck did that happen by the way??!!), high school graduations will be celebrated very soon and in our family we have two grads this year.  So I decided to make some cards for them to hold a monetary gift.  The first card is for our nephew who is going to be the valedictorian for his graduating class (way to go!) and I used one of the tags that I made in Marjie Kemper's class as the focal point.


The background image is a vintage report card from a Crafty Secrets Vintage Typography CD and I die cut the letters for 'Congratulations' using Tim Holtz's Alpha Numeric thinlits dies.

Inside, I added a pocket (cut with an Eileen Hull Recipe Card die) to tuck a small envelope into.


The sentiment is from the Tim Holtz Life Quotes stamp set and I found the cap and book image online.


I made the envelope using some digital papers from Vectoria Designs and then added the twisted floss cording as a pull to mimic the tassel on the graduation cap.  A piece of old ledger paper was added to the left side so we can write our message of congratulations to our wonderful nephew.

The second card I made is for our beautiful and talented niece who is also graduating from high school this year.  I decided to go with a vintage garden theme and used layers of stamped and embossed cardstock behind the main panel.


I made some of the flowers using Tim Holtz's Tattered Florals die and the others are paper flowers that I purchased at Michaels.  The 'Congrats' banner was stamped with a TPC Studio Decor Sentiments stamp and I then hand stamped the letters and strung them on a piece of button thread.


The layered cardstock in the background was stamped and clear embossed using Tim Holtz's Damask stamp (love!) and then coloured with multiple colours of Distress Ink in greens.  The edges were distressed and then aged with more Distress Ink.  The middle pink panel was stamped with a Crafty Secrets Floral Art stamp in the same manner as the back panel and coloured with Distress Ink's in multiple shades of pink.


In keeping with the vintage garden theme, I stamped a garden fence and gate using a Crafty Secrets Hardware stamp set and then tied the 'gate' closed with more button thread and added a tag cut with the Tim Holtz Tiny Tabs and Tags die.  When opened , the gate reveals a secret message for our wonderful niece.


On the inside of the card, I added a piece of damask paper on the left side so we can write our message to her and on the right side I made an envelope from the same paper to hold a monetary gift.  The butterfly was punched using an EK Success butterfly layering punch and the sentiments were die cut from black card stock using a new Die Versions Everyday Complements die I just got.


I am going to link my vintage garden graduation card to a couple of challenges:

Anything But Cute Mixed Media Challenges - Challenge #1 May Vintage Garden

Mixed Media Monthly - Challenge #12 May Flowers

I hope that our grads will enjoy their cards, they were made with lots of love and pride for the two of you.  Wishing you both a life filled with joy, adventure, love and discovery; let the journey begin!

So that's all I have for now my friends, I have to get a move on and finish up my May tag for Tim's 12 Tags of 2015; I have the burlap glued onto my tag and just have to assemble my elements and get it put together.  I'll be back soon, I promise and until then happy creating!

Deb

32 comments:

  1. Well, you should have heard me go awwww after I saw the message hiding behind that beautiful gate!! I love both card!!! So pretty and filled with so much love, it is simply radiating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I just realized you added your gorgeous flowery card to our challenge! I am so happy you did!!! Thank you for joining Vintage Garden at Anything But Cute!
      Samra DT

      Delete
    2. LOL Samra, I wondered what that sound was :O) Thanks so much for your kind words and happy to have been able to join in the first challenge at Anything But Cute!

      Delete
  2. I agree-- so neat with the secret message behind the gate! Both cards are wonderful!!! And congrats to your grads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb your cards are really special, and will be lovely keepsakes for those graduates.I love things that open, pop up etc with those special messages. Glad you've been out and about.That's what I love about the change in the saeasons. They change our mood.You have been gathering inspiration.Have a lovely weekend out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so much more than just a card. All the details you put in to these are amazing. Both are wonderful and I'm betting they'll be a treasured keepsake

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful cards and your vintage garden card is gorgeous! The hidden sentiment behind the fence is a genius idea! I bet she loves this card. Wonderful layers, stamping, and embossing! Awesome sauce!

    Thanks for joining in our first challenge, "Vintage Garden", at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Niki, I do hope she likes it :O) Glad to have been able to join in with the first challenge at Anything But Cute!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Deb! I love both of these cards, and I'm sure your niece and nephew will, too! Congratulations to them both! And what a special celebration for your nephew--way to go! You must be so proud!

    And you should be proud of yourself, too! Both cards are just gorgeous! I love the bright tag on your nephew's, with the doodling. Very cool! And the Vintage Garden gate is such a special surprise on your niece's. Of course, your background papers are just wonderful--love those stamps!

    I hear you about being away from blogging for awhile--I've been in the same boat. So much going on, and the garden takes top priority right now. It seems the bunnies can't wait for the corn to bear fruit--they are eating it all now!

    Great that you were able to find some time to craft these lovelies for our Vintage Garden Challenge at Anything But Cute! Big hugs! Sara Emily DT (I still can't believe I'm saying that!) I can't wait to see your Tim tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Sara, I am hoping that they both like their cards :O) Glad to have been able to join in with the first challenge at Anything But Cute (you are so funny, you better get used to calling yourself a DT because I am sure there will be many other opportunities coming your way!) and hope the bunnies leave your corn alone, silly rabbits :OD

      Delete
  7. Two beautiful cards Deb and I have to say that first one is a real winner! LOVE the bold colours and clever design. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic cards Deb :-). Love the layout and colours on the first card, followed by the very feminine design on the second. They will be treasured for sure

    TFS and best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie, I do hope they both like them. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  9. Love the cards Deb. Completely different but equally fantastic. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Deb, these are fantastic! It's so fun to see a masculine and feminine version for the same theme, side by side like this! Just goes to show how versatile you are as an artist! They are wonderful, love how you even made two different styles of pockets! Brilliant! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Design team fail!! I totally forgot to say how excited I am that you have joined in with us at Anything But Cute with your lovely feminine garden card into our Vintage Garden Challenge!! Still trying to get used to this one tee hee. hugs Pamellia DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a exciting time, and they are sure to appreciate and treasure those cards as they move well into their futures.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Both of your cards are absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous cards...love them in and out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made with love and so many thoughtful details! Wonderful creations, Deb! They are so special!
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love them too! There are so many neat things for graduation. I cleaned up my sewing area to get out my journal and card making supplies today. I'm looking forward to switching gears for awhile! Happy weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh, lots of eye candy on the blog today! These are both fabulous. I love the way you incorporated the tag onto the card, and the clever pockets inside each. Thanks so much for the shout-out and link too, Deb. Very much appreciated! If you do have a moment and can upload that card to the Craftsy platform, I'm sure everyone would love to see what you ended up doing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are really fab, I love how you decorate the insides. If you ever find out where the time goes, please let me know xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow! These two cards are wonderful!! But I REALLY love the secret garden door ... such a beautiful detail!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Challenge Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen and thanks for a fun challenge at MMM!

      Delete
  20. Fabulous graduation cards, Deb! I hope your nephew and niece cherish these wonderful mementos of one of life's bigger accomplishments and look back upon these creations in their adult years and remember how much simpler things were 'back when I graduated high school'. They are simply lovely and I can feel the love and pride you put into the making of these!! Congrats to your grads!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome cards. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna and thanks for a fun challenge at MMM!

      Delete
  22. Fabulous cards Deb. I wish I had received something like that when I graduated, sniff, A very thoughtful way to recognize their graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on your win at Mixed Media Monthly For your flower card! Well done! Have fun with your new goodies! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw that this morning Sara, thanks so much! How lucky am I, love anything and everything from Stampers Anonymous so thrilled to have had my name drawn :O) Thanks for letting me know my friend, Deb xo

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo