Saturday, June 13, 2015

A Gentle Man

Happy Saturday everyone, hope you are having a good start to your weekend.  After a very sudden cool down (it was 3 C, about 37.5 F, last night!!) it has rebounded slightly today and the poor hummingbirds are able to forage about rather than staying huddled and fluffed up on the feeders.  Rather a shock to the system going from 30 C to 3 C in the matter of a day or two!

As it was a tad chilly and wet outside, I took the opportunity to make a Father's Day card for my Dad (Dad, if you are reading this stop now so you don't ruin the surprise :O).  I recently saw a stamp set from Artistic Outpost that really summed up who my Dad is, it was the 'Hat's Off' set and the quote stamp says:

'A gentleman is always that: a gentle man.'

Truer words were never spoken about my Dad, he is a gentleman, and a gentle man, in every single sense of those words.  Our family is so blessed and I can never thank him enough for all he has done, all he continues to do and for the love that he gives to us all so freely.  I hope that this little Father's Day card will help express to him how much he is loved and appreciated.


(Edited to add:  So grateful to have had my Gentle Man card chosen as an Honourable Mention at the Anything But Cute Challenge blog.

Thank you so much to Pamellia and the DT at ABC!)

Although I have ordered the Artistic Outpost stamp set, it hasn't arrived yet so I used Tim Holtz's 'Possibilities' stamp and die set instead and typed out that wonderful quote on the computer.  I wanted this card to have a masculine feel so I kept to a monochromatic colour palette of Distress inks and stains in browns.


I started out with a piece of corrugated cardboard and tore off bits of the backing here and there and coated it with gesso.  I also added some Wendy Vecchi Crackle Texture paste here and there and then started to spray and ink with multiple brown tones of Distress and did some random stamping.  Once the corrugated cardboard was distressed to my liking, I backed it with a piece of kraft cardstock that had the edges distressed with scissors and aged with Walnut Stain DI.  I made the 'DAD' banner on the computer and cut it out as a fishtail banner.  I lightly sprayed it with some Biscotti Perfect Pearls so it has a bit of shimmer.  The pointing hand is from the TH Possibilities set and I mounted it and the banner on pop dots for a little dimension.


The Tim Holtz Mirrored Star was coloured with some brown toned alcohol inks.  You can see some of the background stamping and the crackle paste on the background in this picture as well.


Love these gentlemen from the Possibilities set!  The background behind them was cut with a circle die from some manila cardstock and I sprayed it with Distress spray and some Lindy's Stamp Gang Van Dyke Sepia spray and then did a second generation stamping of a pocket watch over top.  The gents were stamped and die cut twice and mounted on pop dots for dimension.  The frame around them was cut with a circle die and a Spellbinders Grand Scalloped Circles die and I then stenciled over the frame with a Simon Says Stamp large Morrocan stencil using Wendy Vecchi's crackle texture paste.  When dry, I coloured it with Distress spray and inks, gave it a light spritz with some Biscotti Perfect Pearls and mounted it on pop dots to frame the gentlemen.


The stars were cut with the die from the Possibilities stamp and die set.  The darker stamped stars were made using the stamp from the set and then die cut.  The solid colour brown stars were cut with the die only, I used the manila cardstock that was under the mirrored star when I coloured it with the alcohol inks.  Waste not, want not!  All of the cardstock stars were also spritzed with Biscotti Perfect Pearls.


And last but certainly not least, I typed out that wonderful quote on the computer, cut out the words and backed them with a couple of layers of kraft cardstock to give them some dimension as well.  The stand that I made to display the card was created from a couple of layers of heavy cardstock that I printed with postcard paper from Vectoria Designs using a template that I found online.

I do hope that my Dad will like this card, it was made with lots of love and I am so very proud of him and thankful that he is my father.  Love you Dad!  xoxo


I would like to link this Father's Day card up with the following challenges:

A Vintage Journey - 'Celebrations' - celebrating Father's Day and my wonderful Dad!

Anything But Cute - 'Make It Masculine' - hope this card is masculine enough!

Frilly and Funky - 'Monochromatic' - used a brown toned monochromatic colour scheme in a vintage style

Mixed Media Monthly - 'A Year of Choices' - I chose Challenge #3 'Stencils and Paste'

Our Creative Corner - 'What Makes You Smile' - my Dad always makes me smile and so does making anything in a distressed and vintage style :O)

Thanks for stopping by today and hope that the rest of your weekend is warm and wonderful!  Talk again soon and happy creating!

Deb

37 comments:

  1. Deb - He will love that card and all of the love that went into it.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card Deb! This is my favorite of yours now. Amazeballs design and that sentiment is so absolutely perfect! What a quote! I may have to use it. Wonderful layers and textures. Your use of AI and DI and sprays are spot one dearie! No worries about this being anything but masculine! I bet your father will be awed and drool over it. Hehe! Hugz!

    Thanks so very much for sharing this with us at Anything But Cute for our Make It Masculine challenge. Hugz! ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Niki! Isn't that quote lovely? Knew I had to use it as soon as I saw it in the AO stamp set. Thanks for your kind words and for another fun challenge at ABC! Deb xo

      Delete
  3. This is a perfect fathers day card. Love the use of the cardboard. The colors are really appealing and the black and white for the text really pops. I'm a big fan of the crackle look so I love that detail too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you put so much love into this absolutely beautiful card, Deb! Your father is going to treasure it! I love your perfect quote and fantastic design! Also, love your fabulous layers and awesome textures!
    Thank you so much for joining in our 'Make It Masculine' challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Branka DT x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Fathers Day card is so pretty. Maybe I should say "handsome" since it is a madculine card. 😊 But I really do like your design and all of the elements you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow Deb, this might be one of my favourite creations of yours! I am so in love with the amazing textures and all the fabulous neutral tones! I just love the vintage feel for a masculine creation and you have rocked it!! Oh my gosh, your Dad will be over the moon for this beauty! I adore that sentiment, I will be using that for next year!! A truly wondrous work of art Deb, I love this to bits!!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Make It Masculine' challenge, you rocked our theme! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb, love the card and I need ideas just can't get myself started with a fathers day card and I am running out of time.
    Thanks for the inspiration, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela and glad I could give you a wee spark! Can't wait to see what you make, know it will be lovely :O)
      Deb xo

      Delete
  8. Deb, your Dad is going to be so happy when he receives this card! I love the textured layers, and of course, that awesome crackle! The colors you chose and the distressed card board background as well as the images all just scream masculine! What an amazing card you have made for our Make It Masculine challenge at Anything But Cute! Thank you for joining in! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sara, I was really happy with the way it came out and do hope my Dad likes it too! Thanks for your kind comments and for another fun challenge at ABC! Deb xo

      Delete
  9. Oh Deb, how amazing to have Hummingbirds in your garden. I have never even seen these birds in real life and could only ever dream of them being in my garden.
    Fabulous masculine card with great techniques used and I love all your neutral tones. I am sure your dad will love this.
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful card with a great work on textures! Your lucky Dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and I forgot: thanks for joining us in Jan's challenge here at Our Creative Corner!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Lys! And glad to have been able to join in the challenge at OCC, what a wonderful theme this month! Deb xo

      Delete
  11. I don't think there is any doubt that your Dad will love his card, it is fantastic! I love those men from the Possibilities set too and you have used them beautifully. The sentiment is just perfect too.

    Thank you so much for joining in at A Vintage Journey for our Celebrations Challenge! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing card! I just LOVE the sentiment and I know your Dad will just love it too! I love the textures of the cardboard and the crackle paste - they just pop out at me - love it! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen and isn't that sentiment wonderful?! Thanks for you kind words and glad to be able to join in with the MMM Challenge, congratulations on your first year anniversary!

      Delete
  13. Your Dad is going to LOVE this card, Deb!! I just LOVE it!! I love your layers and textures and the quote is special, isn't it? :) I'm working on my Dad's Day card right now....I'm making a fabric banner card, inspired by YOU!! :) :) I haven't sewn something like this in a while and had one failure (I layered my fabrics/batting wrong--didn't turn inside out properly-DUH!) But, being inspired by you, I know I can get this done & mailed on time :) :) Thanks, Deb!! :) :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  14. A perfect Father's Day card. I know he will love it. Thanks so much for playing with us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Donna, I do hope my Dad likes it too! Very happy to be able to join in with your challenge this month at Mixed Media Monthly, congratulations on your first year anniversary!

      Delete
  15. I love the monochromatic, vintage feel of this, and the saying is lovely, just perfect for Fathers Day! Thanks for playing along at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Georgie, that saying is wonderful isn't it? So glad I was able to join in with Frilly and Funkie this time, looking forward to your next challenge too!

      Delete
  16. Your card is simply beautiful Deb. The part I like best is the way you desribe your Dad. He is truly special and deserves your praise and love. I'm sure he will love it. Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic card Deb ! Love the vintage theme and the texture you've included is fabulous ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Deb, I love this card, your Dad will be thrilled to receive it! The layers, the textures and shimmer are are gorgeous. You used my favourite Gentlemen stamp too. I had to smile! Thank you for joining in my challenge at Our Creative Corner this month. Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jan and glad it brought a smile to your face :O) Thanks for another fun challenge at OCC, glad I was able to join in the fun.

      Delete
  19. What a great make Deb!!! Love it!! And yes, it sure is masculine enough :) Thank you so very much for joining our Make It Masculine challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Samra and glad to be able to join in with the challenge at ABC this month! Deb xo

      Delete
  20. This is a stunning card Deb. Love the colours/textures and layers. Your dad is going to love this card :-)

    Thank you for joining in with us at AVJ this month

    Best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another great masculine card, Deb - the rustic textures and rusty tones are fab. So sorry not to have been around - real life has been just too busy!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is wonderful! Thanks for joining the mixed media monthly challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a PERFECT fathers day card! this is just great. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge and celebrating our first birthday!!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome mixed media Father's Day card! I'm sure he loved it! Thanks for celebrating with us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    lynnkopas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oops, should also have said thanks for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Deb, just wanted to pop in and say Congratulations on being one of our Honourable Mentions at Anything But Cute! Hope to see you again this month! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo