Monday, October 12, 2015

More Bird Crazy Halloween Fun

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my fellow Canadians!  Hope you have had a wonderful long weekend with family and friends and are stuffed full of turkey.  We have our bird roasting in the oven as I type and the house is smelling wonderful.

I've been working on another Halloween project using those fabulous and fun Bird Crazy stamps and dies this weekend.  I had purchased some wooden display boxes at Michaels months ago (in the clearance section, score!) and finally found the perfect project to use the biggest one for.  Meet Vladula Von Peckering, a distant cousin of IGirlZoe's Count Peckula and Redanne's Lord Wampyr :O)


Edited to add:  Thank you to Mixed Media Mojo for choosing my Vladula Von Peckering Halloween shadow box as the winner of their October Halloween challenge and to Anything But Cute for the Honourable Mention!
 
Vlad's been decorating his abode for Halloween and would like to invite you in for a bite ... er I mean a bit! ... to have a look around.


He's added his favourite skull to his coffin bed, although Vlad's looking a little bemused and is wondering who invited the spider to drop in!


He's added some pumpkins along the lid back of his coffin bed, right behind the monogrammed pillow that his Mummy ;O) made for him.


And what's Halloween without a decorated candy corn tree and more pumpkins ready for carving?


He's placed his raven tree topper on top of the tree and added a few of his favourite ornaments.


A couple of his bat buddies (a gift with purchase from Retro Cafe Art, thank you!) are helping him to hang his Halloween banner.


And he's hung up his favourite grungy 31 plaque to honour that auspicious date.


As a final touch, he's also hung up a couple of Halloween posters on the walls.



I had so much fun making this Halloween shadow box, I made Vladula first and knew that I had to make an extra special place for him to reside.  The wooden display box was painted with a base coat of black acrylic paint and I then stenciled some Wendy Vecchi crackle texture paste through the Argyle layering stencil here and there and coloured the stenciled areas with Fossilized Amber and Rusty Hinge Distress inks.


The edges of the box were sanded back and a dry brushing of rust coloured acrylic paint finished the outside.

The back of the box was open so I decided to close it in with paper from the Regions Beyond paper stash.  I stenciled the paper first with Tim Holtz's Batground stencil and Black Soot Distress ink and then stenciled in a few ghostly trees using a TCW Aspen Trees stencil with Pumice Stone Distress ink.  The trees were then oversprayed lightly with the stencil still in place using some Biscotti Perfect Pearls spray.


I covered the front edge of the box with some Regions Beyond Design tape.

The wood coffin is one I got at Michaels last year and never got around to using.  I painted it with black acrylic paint and coloured the hinges and latch with alcohol ink.


I lined the inside with some Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells papers and added some putka pod pumpkins along the back of the lid.  The skull (one of Tim's new Boneyard resin skulls) was aged with a little alcohol ink and I made the monogrammed pillow from some burlap, fiber fill and embroidery floss.  I hand drew the 'V' for Vladula (or vampire if you prefer!).

The candy corn tree started out as one of Tim's Woodlands trees and I coloured the bottom of it with some Squeezed Lemonade Distress stain and the middle section with Spiced Marmalade DS.  I dipped the bottom section but then used a paint brush to colour the middle - there is probably an easier way to do it but hey, it worked!


The raven on top is the bird from the Bird Branch die that I cut from a scrap of design paper and then coloured with Black Soot Distress ink.  The tiny skull and the spider charm were in a little pack of freebies I got with a Funkie Junkie Boutique order (thank you Linda!) and the rest of the ornaments are from Tim's Frightful Ephemera pack.  Regions Beyond Design Tape was used to cover the wooden stand under the tree.


I made the 31 label from a recycled canning jar lid.  I pounded the heck out of it with a hammer and painted it with black and rust coloured acylic paints.  When that was dry, I added some texture paste in 'glops' (you can also mix some real sand with acrylic paint to get the same effect) and once dry, coloured it with more black and rust acrylic paint.  The numbers are Tim Holtz's Numerals, coloured with alcohol inks and attached with the long brads that come in the package.

So that's my Vladula Von Peckering Halloween shadow box, I do hope that you liked it!


I'd like to enter my shadow box in the following challenges:

Anything But Cute - Challenge #6 - 31 Days Of Halloween

Country View Challenges - #32 - Add Some Texture
Texture was added to the outside of the box and to the 31 label with texture paste and lots of bits and bobs add even more!

Mixed Media Mojo - October Challenge Halloween +/- Wings
Vladula and his bats have wings!

Mixed Media Monthly - Challenge # 17 - Word Search


I used the words bat, pumpkin and skull.

Stamps and Stencils - Make It 3D
I used the Bird Crazy stamp and the Batground and Aspen Trees stencils.

This will probably be my last Halloween make for the season, I say probably because I love this time of year so much that it's hard to stop LOL!  But Christmas crafts are calling and it's time to change gears, I have a couple of lovely packages on the way of Tim Holtz Christmas releases that I'm itching to get my hands on, I'll share pics of my goodies when they arrive.  Thanks as always for stopping by today and hope you had a great weekend.  Happy creating!

Deb xo





The Halloween banner was created by resizing images purchased from Vectoria Designs.

41 comments:

  1. Wow-- look at all that detail! Fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I love it. I thought that 31 looked like it was on a canning jar lid. It looked liked the ones I had pounded flat for some ornaments I made. So many clever details in this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative! I love the idea of working within a box....I would love to try that! It's a fun time of year to be crafting! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! So glad that Vladula Von Peckering has such a nice home to live in! What a wonderful story line and such fun to read. This entire design is awesome sauce and so well thought out. From the candy corn tree to the monogrammed pillow his mum made. So creative and genius. This can't be the last Halloween design though-is he married or living the bachelor life? Lol!

    Thanks for joining in with our "31 Days of Halloween" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz! ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niki, I had so much fun making it! And Vladula is currently batching it (he's a nice guy but has some personal habits but that make 'living' with him quite impossible!) so there won't be any Mrs. Von Peckering any time soon LOL! Glad I was able to join in the fun at ABC this month! Deb xo

      Delete
  5. What a fun post Deb, a wonderful display piece! So many gorgeous litte details and a fun story to go along with it, fabulous Halloween make and of course thanks for adding it to both Mixed Media Monthly and also Countryview Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this Deb, very much. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, I had great fun making it! Deb xo

      Delete
  7. Wow, Deb! A feast for the eyes and a story for the intellect! You've got it covered here. And I can tell Christmas is really on the back burner, as you include a little tree decorating here. Ha! Ha! So many details to comment on, but the entire scene is so fun and creative--from the box exterior, to the background, the coffin, the "31" label, right down to the crazy bird! All just delightful! But you really caught my eye with that canning jar lid! Well Done!

    Thank you so much for joining our 31 Days of Halloween challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs!! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sara, I really had fun creating it, those Bird Crazy stamps are an endless source of inspiration! So glad I could join in the challenge at ABC this month, your theme and the creations from all of the DT's were very inspiring! Deb xo

      Delete
  8. So much to LOVE here! The coffin, the dangling spider, the crazy bird, the tree, all wonderful details in this scene! I especially love the 31....great alteration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anita, I appreciate your kind words very much! Deb xo

      Delete
  9. Your makes are so wonderful they make me sing. "HI HO who who - it's off to work I go who who"
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness Deb! How stinking cute and clever is this? I love it! Every little detail is so in tune with the season...but that bottle brush tree dyed like a candy corn is over the top CLEVER! Love it ALL!!!!!!! ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well thank you Nancy! I can't claim any kudos for the candy corn tree though, I saw it in one of Tim Holtz's pics on Instagram I think and knew I had to give Vlad a Halloween tree to decorate :O) Thanks so much for your comment, Deb xo

      Delete
  11. OMG! Deb, there are soooo many AWESOME details to this FaBOOlous Halloween creation, I just don't know where to start!! But--I do think my favorite little thing is the monogrammed pillow!! I Love It!! When I first looked at this shadowbox, I spied that little pillow, but wondered....is that a pillow?! :) :) YUP! You made this little guy a pillow---Well, his 'mummy' made it for him!! LOL :) :) Such a fun piece and one I'm sure will bring Halloween smiles for many years to come!! Love This!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Deb, I am just sitting here smiling and giggling - Vlad is superb!!! This is a wonderful and imaginative piece, I love every single details of it - especially Vlad, his bed (wow), the tree is fabulous and I love the 'bat' background. An absolutely delightful Halloween piece of art. Thanks for the shout out, I am very happy to meet Count Peckula and Lord Wampyr's cousin Vlad - I love him!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way...too...much...FUN!!!! Oh my gosh! Loving Vlad and all the fabulous goodies in this post!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a wonderful post and a stunning piece! So many fantastic elements and I love them all! Brilliant make and I really enjoyed reading the story! Absolutely amazing!
    Thank you so much for joining in our '31 Days of Halloween' challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Hugs! Branka DTx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness, I'm away just a few days and you've been super prolific with 4 posts! I wish that we had such fun and beautiful Halloween ideas and projects here - instead of all the ' really cheap plastic tat' that is, frankly, Halloween in the UK. We have embraced the concept of the holiday, (apparently it is now the one we spend most money on, after Christmas!) but definitely not the creative aspect at all. Your imaginative, fun and attractive work would be so popular here Deb, people would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely enchanting, Deb - I love this little Halloween scene, from the adorable coffin to the fabulous dangling spider. Brilliant attention to detail and another wonderful Crazy Bird creation.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my Crazy Bird goodness! Deb, I love this Halloween twist and what a wonderful collections of elements all combined so beautifully! This is too awesome to not Pin! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my - this is just SO FUN Deb! Love all of your wonderful detail and your great tour story! I am ashamed to say that I have the birds and dies and have yet to use them! they are awaiting patiently for me to find some crafting time!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. such a wonderful project thanks for sharing it with us on Mixed Media Mojo

    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's almost scary how intricate your mind is in its creativity Deb! So many awesome details, just blows me away - love this creation. Once Thanksgiving hits you almost have to switch gears to winter, eh? Happy belated Thanksgiving - can't wait to see what you come up with next! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning Halloween pieces! Love all about them! Thanks for sharing them with us over at Mixed Media Mojo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucyna, it was a lot of fun to make :O) Glad I was able to join you at Mixed Media Mojo this month! Deb xo

      Delete
  22. Such great work. Just want to step into your shadow box and be part of it! he he ... I would dress for the occasion of course. Thanks for the visit. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Donna and I'm sure Vladula would love for you to stop by for a bite ... er I mean a bit!! Deb xo

      Delete
  23. Fabulous work and a very in depth post! So many wonderful details on your shadow box looks like you've had a great time making this fab piece. Thank you so much for sharing this with us over at Stamps and Stencils. Toni x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Toni, it was a lot of fun to make! Glad to be able to join you this month at Stamps and Stencils! Deb xo

      Delete
  24. Oh Deb this is fabulous, such fun and full of wonderful texture. Still not sure that I would want to be a guest at Vlad's place though lol.Thank you so much for sharing with us at Country View Crafts, and have a good weekend. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Vlad, thank you so much for inviting us in, lol!! LOVE this!! I love all the details (even down to his monogrammed pillow!) and the story behind it too!! I would so put this box out for a Halloween decoration in my house!! Just wonderful!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen, I had a lot of fun making it :O) Glad I was able to join the Mixed Media Monthly challenge! Deb xo

      Delete
  26. Simply marvelous Halloween make! So many fabulous details, my eye are darting all over the place!
    Thank you so much for joining our 31 Days of Halloween challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samra! Vlad kept adding more and more Halloween decorations, I finally had to tell him to stop :O) Glad I was able to join in this months challenge at ABC! Deb xo

      Delete
  27. This is wonderful, I love it lots, thank you for sharing it with us at Mixed Media Mojo.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel and glad I was able to join you this month at Mixed Media Mojo! Deb xo

      Delete
  28. This is so cool. My favorite part is the candy corn tree!! Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i really got a smile out of reading your post! thanks for the entertainment :) your spooky bird is so fantastic! and i LOVE the tree (and knew Donna B would love it too!) Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo