Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Joy To The World Mixed Media Plaque

Happy December!  As hard as it is to believe, it is indeed December 1st and I am thrilled to tell you that I have been invited to be a Guest Designer over at Mixed Media Mojo today!  I was honoured to be the winner of their October challenge and when Maria contacted me to ask if I'd like to be their guest designer for December I jumped at the chance.  Their theme this month is to use a sentiment as the focus for your holiday creation and the twist is NOT to use red or green.


Here is what I created:


I do have to admit to using just a smidgen of green on the poinsettia and the juniper sprigs on my Joy To The World mixed media Christmas plaque but other than that I did keep to the prompt and had so much fun designing it.  I've made a little tutorial for you on how I did it, hope that you will enjoy it!

I started out with a 5" x 7" flat artists canvas and painted it with a base coat of Americana Bittersweet Chocolate acrylic paint.  When that was dry, I added a thick coat of DecoArt Weathered Wood with a top coat of American Warm White and watched those lovely cracks develop.


After sealing the panel with some Golden Matte Medium, I aged it with some Folk Art Antiquing Medium to add a bit of depth.

Next I cut a piece of burlap about 1/2" narrower on all sides than the artists canvas and pulled a few threads to fray the edges.


I added some Walnut Stain Distress ink here and there on the burlap to age it and then stenciled some snowflakes using a Tim Holtz Snowflake layering stencil and Ranger Matte texture paste.  Once the texture paste was dry, I added some Star Dust Stickles glitter glue to the stenciled snowflakes with my finger for a bit of sparkle.

I wanted the sentiment, which was to form the main focus of the plaque, to be front and center but I didn't want to cover up the lovely textures of the burlap and the stenciled snowflakes behind it.  So I cut a banner shape from a piece of clear plastic packaging, spritzed the back of the clear banner with some Biscotti Perfect Pearls spray and then gently heated the banner with my heat tool until it began to shrink and bend.  After the clear banner had cooled, I edged it with some gold Stickles glitter glue and got to work on the sentiment itself.


I die cut the Joy to The World sentiment twice using the Christmas Stacked Words decorative strip die from Sizzix, once from white cardstock and once from black cardstock.  I painted the white cardstock sentiment with some gold metallic acrylic paint and then gave it a thick coating of gold glitter glue.  When the gold sentiment was dry, I layered it on top of the black die cut sentiment, bumping the layers slightly to form a shadow.  The layered sentiment was then mounted onto some pop dots and glued on top of the clear heat formed banner.

I die cut the poinsettia flower from white cardstock using the Sizzix Tattered Poinsettia die and then spritzed the petals with some Biscotti Perfect Pearls spray and edged them with just a touch of Twisted Citron Distress Ink.  I assembled the petals to form the poinsettia flower and added a Tim Holtz Idea-ology Jingle brad to the center to hold it all together.  As a final touch, I added some gold and some Star Dust Stickles glitter glue to the petals with my finger.


 I die cut two of the juniper sprays from manila cardstock using the Sizzix Tattered Pinecone die and then lightly coloured them with some Old Paper and Twisted Citron Distress ink.  I added just a touch of the Star Dust Stickles glitter glue to the juniper sprays as well.

And then it was time to assemble the plaque!  I glued the burlap to the crackle painted artist's canvas with some Ranger Glue and Seal and, once it was dry, added some specks of watered down Warm White acrylic paint using a toothbrush to simulate snow.  You can see the details of the crackle and the paint specks in the picture below.


I also made a little bow from one of the strings that I pulled from the burlap as I was fraying it and added a wee pine cone from my stash along with a couple of pip berries that I painted white and covered with a touch of Star Dust glitter glue.


The pip berries were red to begin with and a some of the colour seeped through the white paint to add a faint pink tinge to them, love those happy accidents!  I finger painted a bit of warm white acrylic paint onto the bow here and there to give it a frosty appearance as well.

I love how the poinsettia turned out, adding just that touch of Twisted Citron Distress ink made all the difference.  I was going from memory but I seem to recall that white poinsettia's often have a hint of green in their leaves?


And don't you love those Jingle brads?  They are actually real teeny tiny jingle bells, you can hear a faint jingle when you give them a shake!

I am very happy with how the sentiment banner turned out; I had used a similar technique on an ornament I made and I love how you can still see the texture and details in behind.


Just a tip if you want to try this yourself, make whatever shape you cut from the clear plastic packaging a bit bigger than you want it to end up because it will shrink slightly as it is heated.  Experiment with a piece before starting on your final shape as each type of packaging will react differently to the heat.  It's not an exact process but it sure is fun!

I gave this Joy To The World plaque to my Mom for her birthday and I am happy to say that it arrived safe and sound and that she loved it :O)


I'd like to say thank you again to Mixed Media Mojo for asking me to be their guest designer this month, I had so much fun with their current challenge and hope that I have inspired you to get creative with a holiday sentiment and make your own project to link up.  I have also been asked to do a tutorial on Mixed Media Mojo later this month, on December 16th, so hope that you will stop by then to see what I will be sharing.  Have a great week everyone, happy December and happy creating!

Deb xo

I'd like to link my Joy To The World mixed media Christmas plaque with the following challenges:

Anything But Cute - Challenge #7 - It's Ornamental

Mixed Media World - MMW #9 - Anything Goes 

Emerald Creek Dares - Bringing Bits Of Cheer

38 comments:

  1. What a pretty piece this is Deb.Love those jingle bells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mom must have been tickled pink to get such a gorgeous pressie in the mail!! I love the crackle background, and it's such a great contrast with the clear and shimmery banner! Genius idea, that banner! I love the burlap and the poinsettia and just everything about this one!! Amazing Deb! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I'm such a scatterbrain!! I totally forgot to say thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'It's Ornamental' challenge, it's always a pleasure to see you there! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

      Delete
  3. December?! Oh my! Great work! Love the gold lettering! Nice mix against the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Deb - you've really rocked this canvas! WOWZA! The clear packaging really steals the show! The words are fabulous and creating the shadow was a super idea! I just picked up the Valentine strip similar to this at Tuesday Morning for a song and am thrilled to have a new idea for it! I've never seen the Christmas one, so definitely following the link! ;0 I truly love this project! Love that you didn't use a burlap canvas, but added the burlap to a cracked canvas - such great depth! I could go on, but well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Autumn! I didn't know that there was a stacked words Valentine die so I'm now going to go and hunt for that one LOL! So glad you liked the plaque, thank you for your kind words, Deb xo

      Delete
  5. Beautiful and unique. How cute to use the jingle bell for the flower center. I love the stenciled snowflakes on the burlap...that really raises the level for burlap. And all the details the others have mentioned! Wonderfully inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Annie, so glad that you like it! Deb xo

      Delete
  6. Burlap, poinsettia and teeny jingle bells = fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. popped across from the mixed media world challenge to take a closer look and so glad I did...absolutely fabulous. Thank you for the step by step tutorial. Such attention to detail, fabulous colours, layout and texture. I absolutely adore it and it's a given that your m\um did too x Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and for your kind words and glad you enjoyed the tutorial! Deb xo

      Delete
  8. I've also been struggling to keep up with commenting - I'm guessing there are lots of treats in store for me here... starting with this fabulous crackled plaque. I love the burlap panel and gorgeous glittery wording. Neutrals are my favourite for Christmas in any case, so this is a delight.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in total awe of this beautiful creation Deb! I love the stenciled snowflakes on the burlap, I love the gorgeous sparkly 'joy to the world' - it is great to still be able to see what is underneath and the poinsettia is stunning. I am sure your mum must have been over the moon to get this beauty as a gift! Love it! A lot! Thanks so much for joining in our 'It's Ornamental' challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful. So many details to this that I absolutely love. First off, the crackled background is awesome. I've always loved that look. The burlap was a nice addition. another, favorite of mine. That banner was a great idea too. I've got to see if I have any packaging laying around that I can use to try that out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb this is amazing, all these lovely details! I especially like your clear banner and the bow, but it's all just perfect! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Deb, your creations are so awesome, always enjoy seeing what you make. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! LOVE the fishtail banner and the burlap use! So striking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty, Deb, and very current in it's design. I love the poinsettia, and the Twisted Citron is the perfect color for a "white" poinsettia! Mother Nature better move over, there's a new girl in town! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that crackle background! Beautiful, indeed, and it doesn't surprise me a bit your Mom loved it! (I do, too!) Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot at Mixed Media Mojo; they couldn't have picked anyone better to design for them!

    Thank you for joining our It's Ornamental challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sara for your kind words! Glad to have been able to join in the challenge at ABC and the banner header is by Vintage Made For You, love her designs! Deb xo

      Delete
  15. What a fabulous Christmas vintage plaque! Love those crackles and your banner is so gorgeous! Love it! Absolutely beautiful ornament!
    Thank you so much for joining our It's Ornamental challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Branka DT x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just LOVE your pretty canvas Deb! what great textures with the burlap, the layered poinsettia and wonderful clear banner! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely beautiful Deb, I just love the textures and colours - right up my street. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Deb on your Guest Design spot . Your Joy to the World mixed media Plaque is lovely . Love all that crackle and the earthy tones of burlap contrasting with the sparkle. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous work!
    Thank you for joining our It's Ornamental challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT

    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samra and so happy to have been able to join the challenge at ABC this month! Deb xo

      Delete
  20. WOW!! Absolutely gorgeous Deb. Love the crackle background and the entire canvas just turned out so beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us at Mixed Media World and we hope you will join in our next challenge as well.

    With smiles
    Laine Kammeraad
    DT Mixed Media World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laine! Glad to have been able to join the fun at Mixed Media World this month and hope to be able to join in again next month! Deb xo

      Delete
  21. Love your creations Deb!! The poinsettia is fabulous! Love the jingle bell in the center! Thanks for sharing with us at Emerald Creek! Always enjoy seeing what you create!
    Cathy - DT Member at Emerald Creek

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is stunning! Beautiful creation. Thanks for joining us for our Festive Emerald Creek Dares Challenge

    Karon DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! That's such an amazing project! LOVE the stencilled on snowflakes on the burlap! It goes so well with the golden glitter!!! Very festive!

    Thank you for sharing your lovely canvas with us at Emerald Creek Dares!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love, love, love this! The burlap, the crackle, the sentiment and that poinsettia! Gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares!
    ~~julia~~ Emerald Creek DT member

    ReplyDelete
  25. As always it is such a pleasure to pop in and see your stunning work! LOVE the burlap...YUM!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Emerald Creek Dares Bringing Bits of Cheer Challenge :)
    Cheers, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is absolutely STUNNING, Deb. I love it, and I would be absolutely DELIGHTED to have you stop by and share your amazing creations with us at Word Art Wednesdays. We have weekly Anything Goes challenges, and we offer fabulous prizes as well. It would be a real treat to have you join us. I hope you will stop by.
    Karen Letchworth, Owner
    Word Art Wednesday
    www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful Mixed Media piece! I absolutely love it! Thanks for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares.
    -Katelyn DT member at Emerald Creek

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo