Sunday, March 6, 2016

Welcome Spring Altered Egg

Good morning everyone, hope you are having a lovely Sunday.  It is raining here today but that's OK because that means it's not snowing!

I just finished altering a styrofoam egg for a swap at the Mixed Media Studio, I've had this poor styrofoam egg in my stash for quite literally years so decided it was about time to gussy it up some.


While my first thought was to make an Easter egg for my swap partner, I didn't want to make the egg too holiday themed as Easter falls very early this year and there wouldn't be much time to enjoy it before the celebrations were over.  So I decided to incorporate a more generic Spring theme as well so that the egg could be left out after the Easter holiday if desired.

I started out by decoupaging torn aged book pages all over the egg and then wrapped it with some sisal twine from my stash.  The egg cup 'stand' is a lid that I covered with a strip of script stamped coffee stained muslin topped with a line of green Stickles glitter glue and I put a circle of felt on the bottom of the lid to protect any table or shelf it might be displayed on.


I dyed the frilled  trim with some blue colours of Distress ink (the trim had a slight yellow tinge to it before dying so the colour came out slightly more green than planned but that's OK!) and I added a strip of green 'gems' that I had in my stash.

The floral trim was from the same trim package as the frilled trim and this time I dyed it with some Wilted Violets DI and added dots of the same green Stickles glitter glue to the flower centers.  The little bird clothespin was a Michael's find from last year and I sanded it down, stamped the bird with a script stamp and some of that wonderful Cornflower Blue Archival ink and then aged the clothespin and edges of the bird with Vintage Photo DI.


 I had the blue gumdrop gem in my stash so edged it with some more of the green gem strip and glued it onto the top of the egg.  It was a bit of a balancing act but I manged to glue the clothespin to the gem, thank goodness for E6000, that stuff will hold anything!

And finally, I made a fishtail banner from cardstock and hand stamped it with Welcome on one side and Spring on the other.


While it isn't a traditional Easter egg, I do hope that my swap partner will like it!


I'd like to link up my welcome Spring altered egg with the current challenge at Mixed Media Monthly, #22 'Inspiration Photo'.


I was inspired by the eggs, the colours green and purple and the glittter and sparkle in the inspiration photo!

Thanks for stopping by today and hope you will have a great week ahead.  I have to get to work on an art journal page for a post over at Mixed Media Mojo, I have an idea just not quite sure where it is taking me yet!  Wish me luck and as always happy creating!

Deb Riddell

23 comments:

  1. I'm sure your swap partner will love this especially since it can be left out all spring. This turned out really adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect color and texture here. Love how it is spring like while still feeling vintage. Great project. Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish I was your swap partner Deb! Lol. Your egg is fantastic and it is lovely the way it is not too over embellished - I love it, the lace is gorgeous! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Nice idea to not make it too Easter-y.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just darling Deb - really precious. Of course your swap partner will love it!! Such a wonderful creative idea! j.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Spring Egg and also how you always dye the ribbon or trim exactly the perfect color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute project! Love the twine egg! Thanks for joining along with the MMMC :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely springtime piece - love the effect of the string-wrapping - very cool.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully altered with a wonderful textured and rustic feel to it.
    Have a great week.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous Easter project Deb! I love the twine base, great combo with the purple trim and bling!! The clothespin is a genius bit, you are so very clever! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's precious, Deb & your swap partner will love it as much as we do! Thanks for the inspiration- I may just try something like this!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this swap piece Deb.Yes, the Easter theme, does limit enjoyment, so your idea to incorporate Spring is a good one. You're a clever one Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this Deb, and great idea to have a Spring theme. I do hope it comes soon, we had snow again today lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is definitely a perfect decoration to stretch beyond Easter. I love it! Thank you for sharing it with us at The Mixed Media Monthly challenge. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfectly trendy with all that lovely natural material. I love the little birdie perched up top the most!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute "folksy" egg! I love it. Thank so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Great idea to wrap it...I love the natural feel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i really love your altered egg, and especially how you made it versatile for the entire spring season! lovely trimmings you used! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the design of your egg Deb! the neutral twine sets off the gems and trims nicely - and how fun is the bird and sentiment flag at the top! a wonderful spring decoration! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow Deb, what an amazing egg, so clever and creative! Just the most perfect Easter decoration, love it. Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another stunner, and what a fabulous idea! The twine really sets off that purple trim--LOVE it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Deb, absolutely wonderful! Just love this egg - if I were your swap partner I'd know just where to put this in my house!! Love it! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo