Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Black Bird Love

Hello everyone, hope this finds you well!  I've been having a play in my studio in between watching the Scotties Tournament of Hearts curling (our Canadian women's curling championship, yes I'm a curling nerd!) and here is what I made.


I'm calling it Black Bird Love, right now it is a mixed media plaque but it may become a card in the very near future for someone special ;O)  I was inspired by the current challenge at Stamps and Stencils 'Texture, Crackle and Paint' and by the new DecoArt Media fluid acrylic paints I have in my stash, loving those gorgeous greens!  I've included a stencil, stamping, crackle, various textures and paints in this piece so hope I've fulfilled all of the challenge requirements at Stamps and Stencils.  I've a few step out photos of how I created it, read on for my how to.

I started out with a piece of Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and applied Wendy Vecchi Crackled Texture paste through the new Clouds stencil from Southern Ridge Trading Company.  Multiple layers of Tumbled Glass Distress stain and Chipped Sapphire and Blueprint Sketch Distress inks followed.


I then cut out sections of the stenciled cardstock with my Fiskars finger knife, following the stenciled design, to make my 'cloud banks' and edged them with Peacock Feathers Distress ink.

A piece of corrugated cardboard packaging was cut out, the edges torn to reveal the corrugations underneath, and I finger painted it with DecoArt Acrylic gesso and then added layers of diluted DecoArt Media fluid acrylics in Green Gold, Yellow Green Light and Cobalt Teal Hue.  Spritzes and drips of water were also added as the paint was dried between layers.


Background stamping came next with Black Soot Distress Archival ink and the Tim Holtz Papillon script stamp and Inkadinkado's Meadow stamps.

The standing bird from the Sizzix Bigz Birds die was cut from some Fancy Pants Designs 'As You Wish' Celebrate scrapbook paper and backed with another die cut from chipboard for some dimension.


A couple of lengths of white button thread were coloured with the Green Gold and Cobalt Teal Hue DecoArt Media fluid acrylics.

A script printed paper flower from Recollections was coloured with a couple of different shades of blue Distress inks and spritzed with water and scrunched up for some texture.  More Recollections paper flowers from my stash were chosen to coordinate with my colour scheme, think I've had these particular roses for years!


And then the plaque was assembled, the 'cloud banks' were layered across the top of the corrugated cardboard base and two of the pieces were popped up on some fun foam for a bit of dimension.


The 'with love' chalkboard tag was a freebie courtesy of Lia Griffith over at the Ellinee.com blog (click here to get the download) and I adhered it on top of the clouds with a little resin Heirloom Rose.


The florals were layered overtop of the coloured button thread and some wee twigs from the yard in the bottom left corner, perhaps the string and twigs will become nesting material for the black bird?


And finally, a length of black and cream ribbon was added along the bottom edge so the black bird would have a place to perch.


Hope that you've enjoyed seeing how my Black Bird Love mixed media plaque came together, this will be the closest thing to Spring that we will see around here for a while so I have it up on the mantel right now and hoping it will bring us some spring weather sooner rather than later!


Have a great week everyone and I will be back again on the 24th with another project for Southern Ridge Trading Company so hope to see you again then, happy creating!

Deb xo

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful design Deb, wonderfully vibrant and I love the striking contrast with the blackbird. Hope your preferred team win the curling championship xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Deb. I so love the meadow stamp and have used it lots, it's so useful. The colour choice is stunning too. Have a great week and happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous plaque. Love the colors, especially that green

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is delightful - I love the black silhouettes against the pretty blues and greens. The bird is a beauty.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me smile! Love your spring colour palette with the bold contrast of the blackbird and stamped flowers. Thankyou for joining us over at Stamps and Stencils. X

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo