Friday, March 24, 2017

Dreamer Mini Travel Journal

Hello everyone, thank you for stopping by!  I've a few step out photos over at Southern Ridge Trading Company's blog today on how I used their chipboard embellishments to decorate the cover of my Dreamer mini travel journal.  I combined several chipboard pieces from a variety of sets including their Film Strip Section Frame, Cedar Trees, Friends Of Nature and Get Muddy Buddy.


The base of the journal was made with recycled manila file folders using a YouTube tutorial by The Paper Addiction, I just resized it to fit the size of Southern Ridge's Film Strip Section Frame.

I've just started to embellish the inside of the mini journal and said over on Southern Ridge's blog that I'd go into more detail on the products and techniques that I used on the inside pages I've completed so far, so here we go.

This journal design incorporates lots of top and side tuck spots and pockets so I cut some tags from file folder off cuts.  For the two top loading tags, I cut the pull tabs with my WeRMemoryKeepers Envelope Punch Board, coloured them with Walnut Stain Distress ink and added phrases from Tim Holtz's Occasions Small Talk Stickers.


The inside front cover has a side loading pocket and I matted the pocket and the tag with digital papers from Ephemera's Vintage Garden, making the paper slightly lighter in my paint.net program in case I wanted to do some journaling over top of the design.  A fragment from Tim Holtz's Globe die was layered onto the pocket and a tab cut with Tim Holtz's Tiny Tabs and Tags die was added as a pull on the tag.  The 'found' sentiment is from Tim's new Quotations Metallic Stickers and the 'fill my soul' sentiment on the back of the front cover tag is from his Clippings Stickers.


I stamped a butterfly and this wonderful sentiment from a discontinued Crafty Secrets stamp set onto the top of the pocket page as a 'secret message' once the tag was removed.


A #8 tag was adhered to the opposite page prior to matting it and the front of the tag covered with this lovely vintage image courtesy of Candy Colwell.  A snippet of Tim Holtz Linen Ribbon was added as a pull on the hang tag.  The tag for the top loading pocket on this page was covered with more Ephemera's Vintage Garden digital paper and the sentiment is from the Occasions Small Talk Stickers.


The backside of the #8 tag was covered with more Ephemera's Digital Garden paper for a journaling spot and Emerald Creek's Large Oak Tree stamp was stamped onto a piece of coffee stained muslin and matted onto the pocket page.  Love the fabric matting, think I will be using this more often!


And that's as far as I've gotten so far, there are 8 pages in total in this mini album along with 6 pockets so I've a few more pages and tags to complete but I'll try to remember to share them with you once I've got them completed.

Hope you can take a minute to pop on over to Southern Ridge's blog for more details on how I embellished the outside of my Dreamer mini travel journal, have a wonderful day everyone and happy crafting!

Deb xo

9 comments:

  1. what a sweet little album. I made something a long time ago using a manilla folder. I'll have to check out the video for how to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I jumped over here when I saw 'dreamer'. I love journals like this...fun to make and to use! Happy Spring! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous album Deb, the cover is delightful with great pages xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been over for a look - great tutorial Deb. I love the album, especially that wonderful film strip die on the front and you have decorated the inside of the album beautifully! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a truly wonderful journal! One day I want to make one myself but have not been brave enough to try yet! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, this is such a neat little travel journal. Your design is amazing and this is so full of flip-flops and flip out and details! I just love it. I also love the mix of manila paper and stamped images and fabric. Really really a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This little file folder journal looks fantastic! I popped over to the tutorial before looking at the inside of yours so that I could understand everything you might say about it. I love how you're decorating the pages and the cover looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This journal is a gem!!! What beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a fabulous little journal - beautiful tabs and tags and layers in your pages, and a lovely nature cover.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo