Thursday, May 18, 2017

Fairy Garden Dream For Emerald Creek Craft Supplies

Hello everyone, I'm back to share with you a mixed media plaque that I made for our current challenge over at Emerald Creek Dares.  This month Kim has dared us to 'Dream A Little Dream' and create a fantasy or dream inspired project.  I have to admit to being stumped by this one at first until I spied Kelly Klapstein's Dream Phrase stamp set in my Emerald Creek stash and when I combined it with Nicole Wright's Fallen Blossom stamp, the Chrysanthemum stamp, some Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder and a few Pyrite Gemstones my Fairy Garden Dream was born.


Of course every fairy garden needs a fairy so Tim Holtz's Paper Dolls and Botanical Layers ephemera came out to play as well to create my little fairy baby.  I've a few step outs on how I created it, enjoy!

I started by stamping the Chrysanthemum stamp on 110 lb white cardstock several times with Worn Lipstick Distress Oxide ink and then spritzing with water to activate the ink.  I wasn't sure what the final size of my project was going to be so I stamped the Chrysanthemum six times but ended up only using four of the panels in the end.


Every garden needs some flowers so I prepped some white cardstock with a soft green background using Old Paper and Bundled Sage Distress inks and then stamped Nicole Wright's Fallen Blossom stamp with Victorian Velvet Distress ink and heat embossed it with Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder (which unfortunately is not showing up in the pictures!).  I then watercoloured the blossoms with a combination of Spun Sugar Distress marker and Victorian Velvet Distress ink and a water brush.

More flowers were die cut from Thermoweb iCraft Light Weight Mixed Media sheet with Tim Holtz's Small Tattered Florals dies.  The flowers were coloured with Victorian Velvet Distress ink, spritzed with water and scrunched up and then dried with a heat tool.


A little sitting baby image from Tim Holtz's Paper Dolls was lightly coloured with Distress markers and a water brush and a Butterfly from the Botanical Layers ephemera pack was coloured in the same manner.  The butterfly was attached to the back of the sitting baby and a fairy baby was born!

I forgot to take any any in process pictures for the next steps, my apologies as usual!  I can not come even close to duplicating Kelly Klapstein's gorgeous calligraphic writing so I cheated and printed the words 'fairy garden' in Freebooter Script font onto white cardstock.  The word 'dream' from Kelly's Dream Phrase stamp set was then stamped below the computer printed words with Black Soot Archival ink and embossed with clear embossing powder.  My computer printer ink is waterproof so I was then able to lightly colour the background with the same combination of Old Paper and Bundled Sage Distress inks as had been used on the background of the Fallen Blossom flowers.


Some leaves were then die cut from more cardstock coloured with Old Paper and Bundled Sage Distress inks with Tim Holtz's Garden Greens dies.


And then the plaque was assembled, the Chrysanthemum background was adhered onto some kraft corrugated cardstock and the the fussy cut stamped Fallen Blossoms and sentiment were mounted onto pieces of black fun foam for dimension and adhered over top.  Wish the Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder would show up in the pictures, it adds a lovely sparkle to these pretty stamped posies!


The die cut greenery was tucked in behind and the die cut flowers were assembled with tiny pieces of Pyrite Gemstone added to their centers.  I love the way the flowers turned out using the Light Weight Mixed Media sheet, they have a gorgeous texture and are ever so slightly transparent.


And the Pyrite adds another lovely bit of sparkle to my fairy garden!


And finally, last but certainly not least, my little fairy baby was mounted onto some bits of fun foam and then perched on the 'dream' word, just look at that face!


I hope that you have enjoyed seeing how my Fairy Garden Dream mixed media plaque came together,


and I hope you've been inspired to make your own dream or fantasy inspired creation and join us in our dare this month at Emerald Creek Dares.  You have a chance to win a $50.00 gift certificate to Emerald Creek Craft Supplies online store:


 and in addition, you will receive 10% off your next order from Emerald Creek just for participating in our Dare!


 Thank you as always for stopping by today, have a wonderful weekend and happy creating!

Deb xo


4 comments:

  1. DREAMILY DARLING display of CREATIVITY Deb. I believe anyone - not just fairies could dream in your LOVELY garden! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!! Love the flowers with the stone centers! I love using them for that purpose too. always inspiring Deb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Deb, I love the stamped Chrysanthemum in the background and the layers you added on top. Nicole's flowers are lovely and the sentiment certainly suits the challenge theme really well! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This came together beautifully Deb, a wonderful dreamy collection of elements and a gorgeous, pretty design, love it xxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo