Monday, June 5, 2017

By The Sea Postcard For Emerald Creek Craft Supplies

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by.  I have a postcard to share with you today for our new challenge over at Emerald Creek Craft Supplies challenge blog and this month Kim has dared us to create a project with the theme of Surf and Turf, how fun is that!  I decided to make a postcard with a seaside theme using lots of wonderful stamps, embossing powders, charms and some new to the shop seashells from Emerald Creek.


I managed to get lots of surf in my postcard but not too much turf, unless a seagull can count as turf?!  Here's a list of the Emerald Creek Craft Supplies products that I used on my postcard:


I've a few step out photos of my By The Sea postcard so grab a mug of ale me hearties and read on!

I started by cutting a postcard (4" x 6") from Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and inking it up with Distress inks, sandy brown tones on the bottom of the card and sea coloured blues on the top.


Next I cut a piece of self adhesive dry wall tape and stuck it to the postcard, bunching and pulling it so it looked somewhat like a fishing net.  Oil Rubbed Bronze embossing powder was then sprinkled overtop and melted.

The Tall Ship stamp was then stamped onto the card background with Hickory Smoke Distress Archival ink so it was just faintly visible on the 'horizon'.


The Seagull and Water Logged stamps were stamped onto Heavystock with Vintage Photo Distress Archival ink.  I just overlaid the Seagull stamp on top of the Water Logged pilings, it worked out perfectly!  The stamped images were watercoloured with Distress inks and fussy cut.


The Starfish was next, stamped onto Heavystock with Tree Branch Archival ink and watercoloured with Distress inks.  I ended up stamping and fussy cutting two of the starfish in the end.

The Cerith and Concha seashells were each stamped twice onto Heavystock, once with Hickory Smoke Archival and once with Ground Espresso Archival.  While the ink was wet, I embossed the stamped images with Iridescent Shimmer embossing powder.  Watercolouring with Distress inks followed and all four of the shells were fussy cut.

The two shells were then layered overtop of each with Zots 3D glue dots with the Hickory Smoke stamped shell on the bottom.

The Ancient Anchor charm was embossed with Oil Rubbed Bronze embossing powder along with a brad.


And finally, the Steampunk Octopus charm was coloured Tim Holtz alcohol inks with a mixture of Red Pepper, Rust and Mushroom.

And then the postcard was assembled.  The Seagull and Water Logged pilings were adhered onto the background and the Anchor charm attached with a brad.  The Cerith Seashell and one of the Starfish were attached with Zots glue dots and a Shoreline seashell was glued into place as well.


The Concha Seashell was layered overtop of the Cerith shell along with another starfish and some more Shoreline seashells and the Octopus charm was added just above the Concha seashell.


The sentiment was printed out on the computer (font is called Typical Writer) and I cut out the strips, adhered them with glue and then did some scribbley outlining around the strips with a white gel pen and black Micron pen.


I hope that you've enjoyed seeing how my By The Sea Postcard came together.


And I also hope that I've inspired you to enter our Surf and Turf challenge over at Emerald Creek Dares!  There is a very generous $50.00 gift certificate to the online store, www.emeraldcreek.org, to be won;

and as well you get 10% off your next purchase at Emerald Creek Craft Supplies just for entering the challenge!


Thanks so much for stopping by and I can't wait to see what you link up for the challenge, happy creating!

Deb xo

9 comments:

  1. What a great postcard. As for the turf, you can just say that the ship is loaded with cattle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drywall tape was absolutely GENIUS - just perfect Deb. Love the ship in the background too. And your seagull is just placed perfectly. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun postcard Deb! Terrific depth with that Pirate ship in the background. (I choose for it to be a Pirate ship for dramatic effect. LoL). Also love that noisy seagull!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing postcard, Deb! I love how you've used all those stamps to create this seaside scene! The fishing net and anchor look amazing! Well done, you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm catching up with you tonight and enjoying all of of your art! This one for Surf and Turf would be my favorite. I love anything that is about the ocean! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous postcard Deb, I love how you created the fishing net and that seagull just makes me want to smile! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a showstopper, Deb - what amazing textures, and so fantastic how you've created all that depth and dimension, from the ship in the background, via the fishing net, to the beautiful shells - both 2D and 3D.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful Debs, I love the seagull and the anchor, and the quote is perfect xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your postcard is soooo beautiful, Deb! Love every little detail on it!
    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo