Thursday, June 1, 2017

Rise Above Mixed Media Canvas For A Vintage Journey

Hello everyone, it's the start of a new month so that means it's the start of a new challenge at A Vintage Journey and this month our host Nikki has chosen the theme 'Canvas'.  Here is her brief:

Let's work with canvas this month in our vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk style. It doesn't matter how as long as some canvas is a dominant feature of your project.  Perhaps you may use a canvas in the traditional way or use the reverse to create a shadow box? Canvas boards are fabulous to work on or perhaps you have some canvas sheets which can be cut and adhered to another surface.

Our sponsor this month is Shimmerz Paints and they have generously donated a $25.00 voucher for our randomly chosen winner to spend in their store, thank you Shimmerz Paints!

I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to break out some new stamps designed by A Vintage Journey's very own Tracy Evans!  I adore Tracy's wonderful little bird stamps that she designed for AALL & Create and so created this motivational canvas to display in my studio.


The phrase 'rise above' brought visions of bubbles rising to the surface of a glass of soda to me so I decided on a circular motif for my design and got to work on my canvas.

A flat 5" x 7" artists canvas was primed with gesso.  I then created a stencil from cardstock by die cutting it with Sizzix's Circles die and then adding some smaller circles to the 5x7 stencil with Tim Holtz's new Circle punches and a Fiskars punch I had in my stash.


I quickly slip slapped some Old Paper Distress Paint onto the gesso'd canvas and then applied Ranger Opaque Crackle Texture Paste through the circle stencil I'd made.  While the texture paste was still wet, I sprayed on Shabby Shutters and Crushed Olive Distress Spray stain.

Once the crackle had dried, I added Distress Crayons in Forest Moss, Peeled Paint and a bit of Twisted Citron to emphasize the texture.  Ground Espresso Distress Crayon was also added around the edges to frame the canvas.


Stamping came next with Ground Espresso Archival ink and some more stamps from AALL & Create (set #3 by Fiona Paltridge and set #10 by Autour de Mwa).  The stamp along the bottom edge was first stamped onto tissue paper and applied with Distress Matte Collage Medium and the other stamps were stamped directly onto the canvas.

The canvas was then spattered with diluted DecoArt Americana acrylic paint (Avocado Dip and Cool White).


Then it was time to stamp Tracy's stamps; I stamped the numbered bird and the phrase 'Rise Above' onto a couple of the die cut and punched circles that had been created when I made the cardstock stencil.  I first coloured the circles with Shabby Shutters Distress Ink and then stamped the images with Ground Espresso Archival ink  and clear embossed them.  The little bird was watercoloured with Distress inks and a water brush, I used Cracked Pistachio, Abandoned Coral and Ground Espresso and then edged the circles with Twisted Citron and Ground Espresso.


Everything is better in 3's, so I took a smaller punched circle and stamped a circular star stamp from a Tim Holtz Mixed Media clear stamp set in the same colours of Archival and Distress inks.

The three stamped and inked circles were applied to the prepared canvas and outlined with scribbley lines using a black Micron pen and white Dylusions paint pen.




This was the first time I'd used the new Ranger Opaque Crackle texture paste, love the variation of crackle you get depending upon how thickly you apply it!


And as a final step, I added some motivational/inspirational words and phrases around the edges of the canvas.


Thanks to Tracy for her wonderful stamps, I love them and will enjoy looking at this canvas every day in my studio.

I would like to link my Rise Above Canvas with Simon Says Stamp's current Monday Challenge,  'We're Going Round In Circles'.


Hope you've enjoyed seeing how my canvas came together and that you will join us this month at A Vintage Journey for our 'Canvas' challenge.  Be sure to pop by to see all of the inspiring canvases created by the rest of the Creative Guides, you won't be disappointed!  Can't wait to see what you all link up, happy creating!

Deb xo

17 comments:

  1. Of the birds that one is my favorite! Love the circles for your design, and the colors too. A perfect message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you built those fantastic layers culminating in that wonderful display of Tracy's gorgeous stamps. This is brilliant Deb, I love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a brilliant canvas Deb, love how you built up all the layers, (those crackled bits are so clever) and I love what you have doone with Tracy's stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful way to showcase Tracy's new stamps, Deb. Love the crackled circle stenciling- makes for great backdrop for the focal words and images . Lovely pop of red on the quirky birdie .
    Sure Tracy will be thrilled with this
    Have a lovely weekend
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell you how delighted I am to see you create with my stamps, I am overwhelmed and so so pleased. I love how you showcased the bird and the sentiment and your background is fantastic. I am thrilled beyond words thank you so so much Deb. Huge HUGS. Have a lovely weekend. I will share your project shortly , I can't wait. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful. Bright, upbeat and awesome texture. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! Your fizzing bubbles are inspired and so love the message. Tracy's wonderful stamp is perfect. Love this Deb - quirky and original! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am completely in love with this canvas Deb. You've balanced the design beautifully, showcased the stamps to the absolute best and made magic on this canvas. I LOVE it xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the background and all the amazing texture. Love that bird too! Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful use of repetitive circles and bright greens Deb (they make my eyes dilate looking at it!) The crackle is wonderful and how lovely to use Tracy's new stamps! a great tribute to her accomplishment! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your canvas Deb x fantastic colour combo enhanced with the various random stamping. The circles look amazing and Tracy's stamps look fantastic. Love that sweet little bird xx
    Sending my best wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous canvas Deb, so special that you could use Tracy's stamps. The entire thing looks wonderful. S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This may just be my favourite of your projects Deb! You have showcased Tracy's wonderful bird stamp so beautifully - I just love all the gorgeous crackle you created in the background too. The words around the edge of the canvas just finish it off wonderfully well. LOVE this!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deb, your canvas is gorgeous and you've show cased Tracy's stamps so perfectly on your crackled background! Your doodling and inspirational words in your own writing just take this over the top! Love it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning work with Tracy's wonderful stamps. Those crackled bubbles are utterly magical - amazing work with all those layered products to create a brilliant effect.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh Deb, those crackled circles rock my boat! This shade of green is the BEST EVER! I love how you used Tracy's amazing little bird stamp. The doodling along the edges is a great addition. Totally love this! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful creation! I enjoyed your step by step tutorial very much!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo