Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Something Wicked Halloween Mixed Media Canvas

Hello everyone, thanks so much for stopping by.  I have a Halloween creation to share with you today, I just received some of Tim Holtz's new Sizzix and Stampers Anonymous releases and had to have a play with them, I love how my Something Wicked canvas turned out!


As soon as I saw Tim's Claw Marks dies on his Facebook Live video for the new Sizzix Halloween releases, I KNEW I had to pair them with Southern Ridge's Coming To Get You! bony hands, what a match made in heaven!  I don't have any step out photos as I was having way too much fun to stop (it's been much too long since I just played and made something for me, have to make time to do it more often!) but I'll share some close-ups and try and tell you how I made it.

I started out with a piece of white cardstock and inked it up with Distress Oxide's in Twisted Citron, Seedless Preserves and Black Soot, spritzing with water and dipping repeatedly until I was happy.  Overstamping came next with the Skulls background stamp and Black Soot Distress Archival ink and then I die cut three of the Claw Marks dies as well as the Wicked word from the Vintage Spirits die set.

The Bigz Skull was die cut from white card, coloured with Distress Inks and spritzed with brown Distress Stain Spray.  The eyes and nose and were backed with cardstock coloured with Barn Door and Aged Mahogany Distress inks and the Skull die cut positioned behind the top Claw Marks die cut opening.


I adhered a piece of black cardstock behind and then tattered the edges with a pair of scissors and rolled up and tattered the edges of the Claw Marks die cuts as well.  Three of the tombstones from the Village Graveyard set were die cut from black cardstock that was inked with Black Soot Distress Oxide, edging them with Black Soot Distress Archival ink.

The Coming To Get You! chipboard hands were sponged with shades of beige and light green acrylic paints and then they were spritzed with brown Distress Spray Stain.  They were then adhered into the two remaining Claw Marks die cuts and I let the rolled edges of the Claw Marks elevate them off of the surface so they appeared to be reaching out to grab you, bwa-ha-ha-ha!


A couple of the wrought iron fences from the Village Graveyard set were added below each grasping bony hand!


The Wicked die cut negative was backed with cardstock inked with the same red colours as the skull eyes and then I die cut a second Wicked word from Deco Foil PeelNStick Toner sheet and covered it with black Deco Foil.


The Deco Foiled word was inserted into the die cut opening but it was getting a bit lost on the busy background so I outlined it with a black Micron pen.

A couple of the Ravens from the Feather & Ravens set were die cut from black cardstock and from black fun foam, layered together and added to the upper corners (I love these dies!).  I also die cut the branch from the Feather & Ravens set for this fellow to perch upon!



A piece of corrugated cardboard was spritzed with Black Soot Distress Spray Stain and added behind for a bit of textural contrast and my Something Wicked mixed media canvas was done!


I hope you've enjoyed seeing it, I know that I sure enjoyed making it and can't wait to display it for Halloween ... heck, who am I kidding, I've got it out right now and am enjoying it everyday LOL!

I'd like to link my Something Wicked canvas with Frilly And Funkies On The Cutting Edge challenge, I used lots of die cuts in this project!

Thanks so much for stopping by and hope that I've inspired you to head into your craft room and just play, it's wicked fun!  Happy creating everyone,

Deb xo

10 comments:

  1. AH! A perfect pairing of the claw marks and the bony fingers! I love that! So much fun Halloween wickedness! Lots of great details. Halloween is my favorite crafting time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome project. I have to say the crows are my favorite part here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see you've had great fun creating with your new goodies and with fabulous results, I love Halloween crafting and this piece is perfect for the season xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this on FB and had to come find out more about this fabulous project!

    Thanks for the photos and the description of your process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That inky background is spook-tacular! Love the stamping over the inking, the clever way you have the hands reaching through the card and all those wonderful dies. Looks like you had fun!Thanks so much for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie On the Cutting Edge Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, spookalicious! I love those fingers making their way out of the clawed scratch marks!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so inventive Deb! At first the eye is drawn by those clawed fingers ripping through but then the scarily red eyes become evident and take the whole project to a new level! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your well deserved win at Frilly and Funkie, Deb! What a creative work of art! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo